Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring Clean-up at the Barn

A few weeks ago I started to rake up leaves and other debris around the barnyard from all the prior winter storms. Every year as the snow melts I eagerly begin looking for signs of spring. This year was no different. There are two new bird nests in a couple of the Washington Hawthorn trees and I've seen several flocks of geese flying north (always a good sign). The hyacinths and daffodils are blooming and today was the first 'mowing' of the grass which was long and uneven. It looks nice now...and the smell of cut grass makes me think of summer.

At the beginning of March I started over 550 heirloom tomato plants, 200 peppers and several eggplant, broccoli and herbs to sell. It's a lot of fun watching them germinate and grow. In a week I'm planning to start cucumbers, melons, squash, pumpkins and a few other veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment